Thursday, September 10, 2009

February 11, 1942

Dear mom and Pop:

I've been trying to write ever since you called but we are always so busy that when we have a free night we go to bed early and try to catch up in one night on a week's sleep. The night you called we had company and it was hard to talk--there is always an automobile dealer and his wife in our living room. When Bob took the job and they told him they wanted him to live with the dealers, I didn't know they meant it literally. I think they told the dealers and their wives to come and live with us, too. I wanted to tell you what a swell little boy we have but it's kinda hard to brag in front of some people. His teeth are popping in everywhere--has about eight all totaled now. But he still hasn't any hair--everybody grows hair, don't they? We have a lot of cute little things we do every day--he is a great little mimic--I'm going to have to watch my step. He seems to understand everything I say. When I tell him "no" he sasses me--it makes him mad as the dickens. He hasn't had any kind of cold or cough but we ask him how his bad cough is today and he almost strangles himself coughing. The blue bear sits on top of his chest of drawers and I hold him up and ask him if he wants to talk to the blue bear. Then I say "hello Bobby," in a high squeaky voice and he knows he is being kidded. He glances at me with a twinkle in his eyes, then he squeals in a high thin voice, very much like the voice I used. Now ain't that cute--I hope you think so cause I do. I think you had better send me some sort of book on child psychology, Pop, cause I find I don't know how to handle him without giving him a good pop on the fanny. He's determined and strong as a little Sampson. He goes after and gets what he wants. He climbs out of and onto anything he wants. He stands up in his high chair, climbs out of his Taylor Tot and on to a chair, coffee table or anything handy. I've kept an eagle eye on him and he has never had a bad fall but he is very careful with himself, when he gets on the edge of something he peers over and hangs on for dear life. So I stay at a safe distance and let him take care of himself and he does a pretty good job of it, but I'm stumped on one thing. I thought I had him trained not to touch certain things when I told him no and everything went fine for awhile then he suddenly started running around grabbing everything he knew he shouldn't--that's about all he bothers to touch now, in fact, and when I slap his hands he tries to cry and sails into it again. So you tell me what I am to do.

Trouble is coming thick and fast for poor Bob. Boys joining up just tell him to come and get their cars from all corners of the state. They are kicking all the shady ladies around from place to place and trying to catch up with them long enough to get a payment or the car is a job for a detective. All of the dealers are twiddling their thumbs wondering what happens next and their isn't any new business, it's all old. So I suppose a year from now there will be a great many changes for a good many people. I guess as long as there is an automobile department, we'll be here, and do far Seattle talks like they mean to keep the thing alive. I maybe told you that Bob got a $25 a month increase but we are buying a bond a month so it just takes care of it nicely. It's just too bad. I guess we'll be middle-age and still be trying to get a start and stick with something. Don't let all this worry you because to date everything is really going fine. And you know I haven't got a worry portion to my brain and Bob instead of worrying gets mad and does something better.

I wish I had something interesting to tell you but we just see a show, play Tripoli every Saturday night, have people drop in and that's about all. Sunday was a beautiful spring day and Blanche and Sid took us and Judy up to Ellensburg to have dinner. Oh, one thing I almost forgot. Mary's father passed away about two weeks ago and he was a very devout Catholic and we attended the funeral in the Cathedral. It was an amazing show. I'm afraid I could never be converted to it. It just doesn't appeal to my comfortable soul. He left Mary a rather tidy little estates--if they can get it from the church. He had been living in a Catholic home in Seattle and they had tied up a good part of it and Mary is taking it to court. So it is going to be very interesting. I'll tell you the whole story when I see you. it's much too long and complicated to put in a letter.

Well, I must close and go to bed. Our new alarm clock says 10:30 and I feel silly going to bed at 9:30 only that rising an hour earlier in the morning makes me give in.

Write soon and tell me all the gossip. Tell Dick and Ellen hello and they had better write. Hope everybody is well. I write to Tom occasionally and get an occasional answer. Good night. Love. Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment