Wednesday, December 30, 2009

February 25, 1942 Letter From Robert

Dear Mom & Pop:
Surprise----Bet you'd given up hope of every hearing from your renegade son-in-law. Now admit it.
I got Louise going on the Church work so don't have to worry about us getting into heaven now, and was just sitting here smoking and trying to figure out what Roosevelt said Monday, what to believe in the newspapers-- and mulling over the sob story I've herd so much of the last sixty days, that I finally decided Confucius (the Chinese seer) Mohamed and dozens of others were all nuts---none knew what is going to happen.

I thought over the pleasant things I've enjoyed----a trip (free of charge) to San Fransisco, a mix-master in which I get a lot of pleasure, belive it or not, and naturally I was anxious to know how your both getting along with no one at home to heckle you.---When are ya coming up?

We got three inches of snow Monday. Today (Tuesday) it's all gone down---funny weather.

Louise took out our little bundle of energy and pent up T.N.T. to be checked over for an insurance policy I took out for some sort of "promise" to pay when he's 21 years, and I'll be damned if she aint all convinced that everyone stops what they are doing to play with him---(she may be right) Anyway, he's tops as far as health goes and we've decided to keep him even tho I have to fed him every A.M. at six.

We are still terrible busy at the Bank and looks as tho they might believe I'm not all muscle between the ears. So if the Army don't get me, (or I don't get too mad and enlist) we may live in the Northwest a month or so more.

Tom wrote us once---maybe twice--come to think of it, it is twice--seems to be getting along swell, tho Louise worries over his being drafted---but whether he does you'll be proud of him.

Love to both of you and don't forget to drive up--make it while gas is still sold on the open market. Bob Louise says hello.

1 comment:

  1. "I got Louise going on the Church work so don't have to worry about us getting into heaven now, and was just sitting here smoking"

    HA HA HA!!! He sounds like a witty, funny man!! So glad I get to know him and grandma through these letters!!! Thanks for posting them. I love to read them!

    ReplyDelete