Thursday, April 23, 2009

July 14, 1940

Dear Mom and Pop:

Sorry I have been so slow writing but I just haven't had a minute to myself for the last week. Pearsons-the people whose transfer I wrote about--are still here waiting to hear where they are to go. They have either sold or stored everything they own and haven't even a chair to sit on. So they are sleeping at a friends house and have quite a number of their meals with us and also spend a lot of their time with us. We don't mind, they are good company, but you can imagine what a constant sweat I'm in, planning and preparing meals. It looks as though they will be moved to Portland now, which is what we would all like to have happen. We could spend an occasional week-end there and they could visit here. They are just very swell people and we are going to be lonesome when they are gone. They had to take the company car they have been using to Seattle, so we all went over the Fourth of July. Bob and I drove their own car over and we came back together. It was a lovely trip but much too short. We left early and had breakfast on the road. We drove over Naches Pass going over and came back another way. Mt. Rainier is on the Naches Pass road and is certainly all you expect of it. you mus see it sometime. When you come up we'll all go over and spend a weed-end. There are two or three Inns on the mountainside and some nice hikes to take. It would be a lovely place to just relax for a day or two. Seattle is an interesting looking big town. The business district looks to be much larger than Portland but all in all I don't thing it is as beautiful. Of course, they depend entirely on rain to keep up their lawns and gardens and this has been an unusually dry season and everything looked parched. We had a seafood dinner down on the docks at a little restaurant and spent the rest of the time driving around the city. We hope to get over and spend a few days and see everything we missed. We'll do that, too, when you come up. About that vacation to San Francisco...it's about the most tempting vacation I have ever considered and we have done some serious figuring and talking on it and are not sure that we should do. We figured $100 probably would be under-estimating the cost of the trip. Now we could probably manage it okay except we are really making an effort to get in a position to buy a new car. Then we can run down and see you occasionally. But, then, we might change our minds. So when you get around to seriously planning on it, you might give some thought to coming up here and we could all visit Rainier, Seattle and British Columbia. So far Americans can get into Canada and back without any trouble. About all you need is some identification. Then perhaps you could go home via San Francisco. Make Tom come along and help with the driving. Here I am trying to change your plans again. It's just a suggestion. I just want you to know that we'd love to have you any old time you can manage to come.

Speaking of hot weather, Yakima is just trotting out some mid-summer heat and I apologize for everything I have said about it. I have my new furniture over in the other apartment but we plan to stay here for the summer. I really appreciate my apartment now. It's just like walking into a basement, it is so cool. Along with the dining room set I have two beautiful commodes and a pair of $50 Italian pottery lamps which all still belong to Ted Pearson. She wants me to keep them for her rather than store them. I have no appreciation for the lamps and just hope she never wants to sell them to me cheap. I wouldn't own them at any price. They are big clumsy looking things. They'd sell for about $5 if they had been made in this country.

Last night we spent the evening visiting with a couple who will probably list us as entertainment on their expense account. But they turned out to be very nice. Both are from San Francisco and they have done a bit of traveling and are very interesting. I think we will probably see quite a bit of them. This job is fun. I'm certainly meeting a lot of interesting people. Everybody has a story to tell and it's amazing how much most couples have knocked around the country and are apparently getting nowhere. Most of them seem to have seen better times.

This morning Bob and I went horseback riding and decided to go in the evening hereafter. The sun spoils riding in the daytime, even early in the morning. I'd like to take lessons at the academy here. After one gets good enough, they put you in a drill team and show you off at the State Fair which is held here in September sometime and at any other horsey functions that come along. You may see me in the Pendelton Roundup before I get through--who knows. I'm not serious--just in case some of these wild stories of mine worry you.

Must go home an change clothes. We are going to a show with Pearson's a little later. Bu the way, how did you get along with Dick's new fence? Tell Tom to finish that letter. Write...even when I don't. Love, Louise

At the end of this letter:
Dear Mom and Pop:

Thought I'd better say hello to remind you that you still have a son-in-law. Come on up---were really serious. Love, Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment