Monday, April 27, 2009

July 22, 1940

Dear Folks:

Glad to receive that letter at last. Will forgive you for going so long this time but not again. Sounds like it would be fun to be in Salt Lake just now with the 24th in full swing. That fallish smell and crickets in the vines sounds good too. Where has the summer gone so fast. Well, it means vacations soon and I can't wait. Bob can get his vacation the first two weeks in September. So if you left home on Friday, August 30, and drove to Boise one day and Yakima the next, Saturday night you would be here and we would start that gallivanting' on Sunday. I'll let you rest here for a few days and then we could do anything you'd like--stop a day at Rainier, a day or two in Seattle and then to British Columbia. We will do a little studying of the map and do some serious planning between now and then. We'll also find the best and shortest route for you to take to San Francisco if you decide to go that way. I divided your trip to Yakima into a two-day jaunt on account of I hate to see you drive so far so fast and you could see the country if you take it in day-time jumps. Bob says you could make it in eighteen hours but I think it would be a hard trip. but you suit yourselves, just so you come. And make Tom come along. Bob has an office full of cuties and we'll have a lot of fun. We'll be moved into our other apartment by then. Thelma Elam tells me that they are very nice in the apartment to let tenants use the vacant...furnished apartments when they have company. There is a little apartment that has been vacant for sometime right across the hall from our new one and I am going to coax Grover the Janitor to move in a bed and cot and we can use it while you are here, then there will be no floor sleeping. It will work out beautifully. We can use the closet space and the bath. There are just the two apartments on the second floor and we'll just take it all over. It isn't furnished but I know they will fix up a place to sleep. And you'll sleep like you have never slept before. This climate is as good as a drug. You want to plan on light wraps, the evenings are always cool.

The newspaper clipping was a shock. I don't know how Mrs. Van Cott stands up under it. It has certainly been a tragic little family. A friend of Bob's who visited us in Boise, helped with the funeral arrangements of Dee Van Cott and he said Cleo came through like a trouper. It's a shame, I've never known anyone more interested in her children. The Newman girl is surely pretty. This must be pretty upsetting to Tom. Tell him not to take any chances in cars.

A trip to Yellowstone will be a nice vacation for Dick and Ellen and, Oh boy, what fun for Bob and Gary. I'm sorry I have been so slow about returning the camera but will get it to them immediately. I caught a good lecture from my husband for not returning it sooner. Every time he sees it, he asks me when I intend--if ever--to return it. I'm going to write and tell them about some little metal gadgets the Pearsons use on their back doors of their sedan to keep them from coming open when the baby is in the back. They are little clamps that hold the back doors shut and can only be opened when the front doors are opened. They are slick and solve that falling out business. They should have a nice time. I'm sorry we moved so far away they can't include us, I'd surely like to see them all. Maybe they can make the Northwest another year.

The Pearsons are leaving in a day or two now. We spent practically all of the week-end with them. Yesterday we drove up Naches Pass a few miles and had a chicken dinner at a little farm house along the way. Two women run the place and serve old fashioned family style dinners and the world's best chicken. Tastes like one of Aunt Meda's dinners. How are they all...do you ever hear?

Mom, you sound pretty busy, what with fruit and canary bird season coming on all at once. I'd like one of the birds. I know right now where I'll put it. So I'm being nice and I hope you have good luck with them. Mrs. Elam is going on a vacation to Chicago soon and wants me to water her plants. If she had left a child with me I wouldn't be any more nervous. Just hope she doesn't think too much of her little plants. If I have any luck I think I'll start some of my own. When she wants a fern she goes to Seattle and buys the biggest they have for a dollar. Wish there were some way you could take one back with you.

Well, we'll see you right around the first of September if this fits into your plans. Bob says hello...the vacation sounds perfect. Everybody write. Goodnight. Love, Louise

P.S. Did I sign my last letter? Bob snatched it away from me and scribbled a note and put it in the envelope and I wondered afterward if I had my cross on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment