Wednesday, August 5, 2009

August 29, 1941

Dear Mom and Pop:
It looks like you ain't a going to write two letters to my one and I'd better write if I want to know what you are up to. I don't know what we do with our time but every evening something comes up to keep us busy. Our little neighbor across the hall spends most of her evenings with us, she is so afraid of staying alone but they have been transferred to Eugene, Oregon, already and it's certainly lonesome. I don't know if I could ever enjoy living in the house alone. She and her two youngsters were pests at times but I guess I enjoyed them after all. Wilma and Pete Olson, Betty Davis's brother and wife are looking at the place and if they move in I'm moving out. I'd have the same thing to contend with as in the court--someone at my place all the time. You can't even have what you want for supper.

I had hoped to have some snapshots of the baby to send but will have to wait until next letter now. We bought a Kodak and the next day it started to rain. It fells like fall. It seems to be arriving much earlier than usual. Bobby is getting along beautifully and is the best little fellow you can ever imagine--never cries, not even for his dinner. He coos and calls and smiles all over when I walk into the room. Everyone thinks he is too good to be true but it's all in the way you raise a youngster--ahem. He must weigh close to 20 lbs now and I just can't handle him much. For breakfast he has 8 ounces of milk with an egg yolk in it, cod liver oil and Pablum--a cereal. At 2:00 he has 8 more ounces of milk, vegetables and a vitamin C tablet. Dinner, 8 more ounces, mashed banana of all things and more cod liver oil. The 10:00 at night feeding is the thing of the past. He eats us out of house and home and has grown out of everything. Looks like another giant in the family. I can't wait until you can see him, cause I think he's pretty swell, if my judgement means anything. Judy stands now by the coffee table all by herself. She is much smaller than Bobby. You'll think he's a freak but he's not, he's a beauty. Well, I hope to let you judge for yourselves soon. If all goes well, I plan to come home for a visit about the end of October and stay until Thanksgiving when Bob will get an extra day or two and come after us. Course you may want to send us home before that, but we'll try to be good kids. I'll tell you more about it later but you can just sort of keep it in mind.
I don't think I have written since our trip to Spokane. We went up with Hadley's--our neighbors and stayed at a cabin on one of their beautiful lakes. We took the baby and he enjoyed it more than we did. Had a peak at Spokane and I wouldn't mind living there if they should want to transfer us there sometime. But the exciting part of it all was when we arrived home. Mrs. Hadley has had a girl--sixteen--living with her to help with the children. When she came home the girl had left with every stitch of her clothing, a small radio, Kodak and $8 from a quarter bank. Come to find out she is on parole from a detention home. Poor Ruth didn't even have a pair of shoes to wear and they haven't yet found the girl. Mrs. Hadley told me one day when she first came to live with them that she made beautiful square corners on beds--she was thrilled to death about her.

We haven't done much else but swim occasionally, do a little calling, see an occasional baseball game and a few other odds and ends. Balance is fine but Sid is just getting rid of a bad infection in his arm caused from a slight cut on the elbow. Jim and Thelma Elam are still in town. Jim is working as sales manager at the Ford Agency here. Paul and Betty drop in now and then. Mom, you probably remember Paul's young son who is stationed at Fort Lewis. He just informed them that he has been married for sometime and they are all upset about it, he is only 20. Our landlord's daughter took herself off to Seattle last Saturday and married her soldier boy friend. And they feel terrible. It is certainly messing up a lot of lives, this war business but I guess it is nothing compared to the ruined lives of other people. I have had only one letter from Tom and have written only one. I hope he is doing well. I'm going to write often to him. I'd love to hear from Dick and Ellen and can't wait to see the little boys--or big boys now. Bob loves his work and we have been enjoying the car all summer.

I must go now. Bob is in bed and tomorrow is Saturday-- Six O'clock comes around sometimes before I get the bed warm. I meant to explain about the typewriter. I think Bob told you I'm doing missionary work. I'm secretary to the Primary in this district. They lend me this early model when I have something extra special to turn out. Tell Dick and Ellen hello and make them write. You write too and often. Much love, Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment