Wednesday, August 12, 2009

November 4, 1941

Dear mom and Pop:

I guess you wonder what has happened to me but I have been waiting to write trying to decide what to do about my vacation. I was all set to come last Oct, 20. I was going to ride with Joe Smith--imagine that---a friend of Bob's who has been working with C.I.T. in Seattle but just at that time he was transferred to Denver so that was out. Now Bob has a car in S.L. that must be returned soon and he is sending one of his men after it this week-end and if I decide to come I will ride with him, otherwise, I will wait until spring when bob will get a vacation and we will all be down. If I could just be there it would be swell, but packing a baby that far really has it's problems when it comes time to leave. Another thing is the getting home. Thanksgiving here is on the 20 of November and that would make a short vacation of it and Bob isn't too sure that he can come after us then. They have just finished remodeling at the bank--his department--and they are having a big opening about that time and he should be here. So I am all undecided. I would just love to come and would be disappointed if it blows up. I would like to have you see Bobby while he is still a baby. He's growing up so fast it startles me. Well, I can't tell you anything definite in this letter but if I come I will phone or send a wire and let you know when we arrive. If you don't hear from us before next week you will know we have postponed it. Do you think I'm crazy taking a baby on a long trip this time of year? I wish someone would decide for me.

Dad, I sure missed your birthday this year. You can pretend you have two this year with out getting any older. Bob mailed you a little gift today and we all wish you many happy returns. Bob got up early this morning and turned on the radio and as I was trying to get my eyes open I heart someone say something about the 27th--I suppose they meant November but something clicked in this noggin of mine and I remembered your birthday.

Bob and I are having a little fun this fall. We joined a dancing club that meets once a month and are meeting a lot of young people. We play cards a little and seem to keep pretty busy most of the time. As a matter of fact I think I lead a pretty hectic life but Bob loves it and certainly takes it in his stride. I don't believe I ever told you that Bill Epperson called me one day. If I did just skip this paragraph. He is stationed at Fort Lewis and was just going thru Yakima. He phoned and promised to try to get over some week-end. Says he doesn't love the army and was trying to get in the air corps. I wish he would drop over it would seem good to see him and we could have some fun. I don't think of anything in particular to write about. Bob is doing a little duck hunting and I--good girl--am studying the Book of Mormon. As I told you, I am secretary to the Primary in this district and it is turning into almost a full-time job. They are studying the Book of Mormon and it is really quite interesting. I think I heckle the missionary who is teaching it without meaning to. But every time I bring up a question everybody present says, Yes, that is what we are wondering." The Missionary Ladies called on Betty Davis and left a Book of Mormon with her to read. So she called up and wanted to know if there was anything spicy in it. She is the same old Betty. We are going to play Tripoli with her Friday night if I am not in S.L.

The little boy is so full of Vitamin B1, I'm going to have to stop feeding him mush--he has too much pep for me. Maybe you couldn't stand his nonsense for two weeks. He never cries but he has reached the stage of choking to get attention and he has it perfected till it sounds like he's giving up the ghost then he giggles when I come skidding into the room. He's pretty cute--has four teeth now and just a little fuzz on his top-not and don't tell Ellen but it's not curly. Well, I wish you could see him.

It's getting late so must close. Hope everybody is well and wish someone would write. Mom, I got your letter and surely enjoyed it. I drop Tom an occasional note but can't coax or scare an answer out of him. See what you can do. Glad to hear he likes his job now and hope he can keep it. The radio scares me and I wish the whole mess would stop before there isn't anything left.

Well, Good night again. I'm going to dream on that trip. Maybe I'll figure the whole thing out and be down. Love, Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment