Thursday, August 20, 2009

December 9, 1941

Dear Mom and Pop:

Sorry to be so slow writing but I just never seem to have a minute of my own. We went over to Tacoma to a football game Saturday, drove back to Seattle that night to stay with some friends and see the beginning of the fireworks. I suppose everybody knew this would happen sometime soon but liked to go on pretending that it wouldn't. It was quite a shock to get up and find we were at war--just over night. Our friends the Tippery's whom we always stay with over there have the new home I told you about before, out at Sand Point. They are just one block from the Naval reserve and I can't say that I blame them for being really worried. Shari Tippery spent some time in a sanitarium with a nervous breakdown about two years ago and I think she'll be in an asylum before this is over. But Seattle--while we were there--seemed very calm. They were on their toes but everything went along as usual. Shari and I went shopping Monday morning and the stores were jammed with shoppers. Most people seemed to feel that they wouldn't reach our coast. But it was a very comfortable feeling to come back to Yakima. They were guarding all of the bridges and stopped us as we were crossing the Washington Bridge and asked us for our destination. We haven't had a test black-our here yet but I guess they had Seattle in darkness last night. I wish we lived in the middle west on one of those wind-swept farms where the windmills are three miles apart. Our landladies daughter who was recently married to a Marine doesn't know where her husband is. He was on his way to Honolulu, they thought, but he hadn't time to reach there when the bombing started. She doesn't seem particularly anxious, though, and most people I talk with are the same way. I hope you won't worry about us being here cause I think we're pretty safe. There's nothing that would bring them to our village--unless they get hungry for an apple. And Bob and I aren't at all nervous--just now we're fightin' mad. I dropped Tom a line tonight and am anxious to hear his side of it. I hope Dick has plenty of exemption with the little boys.

Well, enough of that. Blanche took Bobby for me over the week-end and she's so darn swell to us and to the baby, too. You'd think he was her grandbaby. She called this morning and asked how her baby was today. Said she just wanted to make sure we were treating him right. I think her bunch all fell in love with him. They think he's the best natured child in the world--and he is. Irene said they had all decided I had a perfect baby. So I'm pretty proud today. He is trying words now. Says dada-you know that one: and baba which means Bobby, of course. He's an awful rowdy. He squeals the loudest I have ever heard. And he's quick and strong. And one of these days he is going to be running around without any pants because it's all I can do now to hold him down and change his diapers. He pushes with his heels and lifts his whole body off the bathinette. And he keeps bouncing that way until Mommy gives him a couple of good slaps on the leg. And it doesn't make him cry, he screams at me. About the time he grows some hair you'll have to see him, I think that will be his cutest.

Dad, I called the Republic and Herald and your ad usually ran Friday evening and Saturday morning so there was plenty of time. I meant to look at it but I was busy getting ready to leave at 7:00 A.M. in the morning and forgot about it and I guess Bob has used the paper for a fire. I can't find it now. I'll look next Friday and let you know what I think of it. It seems good to hear from you and I hope Kay forgets the insertion date often.

Mom, thanks for all the clippings. News of Pheobus was a shock. She was a very sweet person. I heard from Jenore sometime ago and she planned to get married early in December. I am wondering now what has happened. If you know, don't forget to tell me about it in your next letter.

Must close and put up my hair and do my nails tonight--I'm going to the Junior Century Woman's luncheon tomorrow, and want to look my sweetest and there's no time for primping at our house in the mornings. Hope you are all well. Give my love to Dick and Ellen and boys. Write soon and often. Much love, Louise

1 comment:

  1. It is interesting to learn things from the time period. Black outs, bridges being guarded, Rinso tops to get silverware, feeding baby cod liver oil....very interesting. I like to read this whenever I miss grandma a little. The story of her swatting Bobby's leg when she was changing his diaper made me laugh!!!!! Ethan does the same thing when I change him. Of course...I don't swat him.:) Times have changed a lot in the realm of parenting!

    ReplyDelete