Tuesday, May 5, 2009

October 15, 1940

Dear Folks:
Well, I have a typewriter this time and no news. Glad to hear you are all busy and happy. We are just loafing along enjoying the lovely fall and not doing anything much. I get ambition now and then and try something new in baking. I'm all set to try an apple sauce cake tomorrow. If things get too dull, I think I'll make more fruit cakes this year around Thanksgiving time. Thelma Elam keeps me busy with something new to try all the time. Every time she and Bob get their heads together it means work for me. They are swell neighbors and we enjoy them a lot. She bobs in and out every day and we spend an occasional evening with them. Next Saturday night we are going out to Leonard's again to make plans for pheasant hunting. Sidney is going to take Bob out early Sunday morning--it's the opening day. I plan to spend the day with Mrs. Leonard. Hope they get a bird. Incidentally, speaking of birds, Mom, I want to know exactly how to cook a turkey. Bob is determined to have one cooked just like your Xmas bird for our Thanksgiving. We plan to buy a small one--about six or seven pounds. Also want to know how you make the white sauce I like so well for plum pudding. If I could only be sure of my dinner I'd invite someone to have dinner with us...but I'd hate to ruin someones Thanksgiving. Wish you could all come up.

Pop, it's too bad you haven't got that novel ready yet cause I certainly have a lot of time on my hands just now. Are you sure you are going to let me do it? Course I want it to be it's best when it's finished. So whenever that time is, don't forget you promised me the job. Wish we were in Salt Lake for the winter, Bob would like to take your business English class if possible. Don't suppose he would come under the heading of bank employee, though. He was wondering about the extension divisions correspondence courses in letter writing or business English. Do they do anything in that field? The Credit Men's Association here ask him to give a speech at one of their meetings on C.I.T. policy. I laughed and he swore he could do it with ease and I think he's planning on it only he doesn't let me know. I suppose all men have to start making speeches sooner or later.

Well, I guess that's all for tonight. I guess I'd better start doing something now and then so my letters won't be so dull. But there main purpose, anyway, is to put you all on the spot where you owe me one. Hope Tom is enjoying his school. Tell him to work hard so he won't have to join the army. But he misses conscription by a couple of years and maybe the war will be over by then. Write often and send all the news. Love to all, Louise

In World War II following the German defeat of France, Congress in 1940 adopted the nation's first prewar conscription act, the result of a campaign headed by “Preparedness” leaders. The draft system was set to operate through 1945, but because of intense opposition from isolationists, Congress obligated the 1940 draftees to serve only one year, for training purposes. A year later, the lawmakers voted (203–202 in the House) to retain the 600,000 draftees. After Pearl Harbor in December 1941, the Congress extended the draft to men aged eighteen to thirty‐eight, and prolonged military duty for the duration of the war. (Tom was almost 21) Headed by Gen. Lewis Hershey, Selective Service drafted a total of 10.1 million men in World War II, the majority for the army. Nearly 6 million other men and women joined voluntarily, primarily in the Army Air Corps, the navy, and the Marines. Deferments were limited primarily to war industries (Lockheed), hardship cases, and agriculture.

Letter tacked onto the end of this letter: I can't imagine anything worse than having a son-in-law who never wrote, or thanked me for a swell trip costing plenty of $. I'm all broken up noting a month has passed since we had a trip in "heaven" and for all my best intentions of writing I can't imagine where the time went.

Anyway we're swell---wish we were in Salt Lake where we could drop in on you---but the powers that be won't allow that at this time---So thanks again for a wonderful vacation and keep your fingers crossed for an opportunity closer to home! Love, Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment