Monday, May 11, 2009

October 29, 1940

Dear Folks:

What has happened to all of you? Haven't had a letter for ages. Don't need to think that you can let this correspondence business dwindle down to a letter now and then. What are you all doing to keep you so busy? There should be a lot to tell me next time. Up here we aren't doing much of anything to write home about. We have a new business man for this branch and he is one of those super--super salesman who--I hope--wears himself out this first visit over here. He works out of Seattle and comes in here every few weeks. If he wears the dealers down as fast as he has me they well probably be giving him their business to get rid of him. He took Bob and me to dinner with the Studebaker dealer and his wife one night, then the Elams another. Then Saturday afternoon he bounced up to our place and spent the afternoon listening to the football game on our radio and spent another evening. Sunday we had him to dinner and yesterday he sent me a two pound box of Whitman's chocolates. I think he is a little confused on who he is to sell in this territory. He stays until Friday and I will more than likely be taking a rest-cure by that time.

We invited the Elam's to have dinner with us on our anniversary but since it is election night they had already made other arrangements. So I guess we'll get all dolled up in our wedding clothes--if it kills me--and go out to dinner and see what Yakima does on such a night. Every time a really hot election rolls around I can't vote. But I'm not sure who I want to vote for anyway so it is just as well. I can always say it wasn't any of my doings. I just hope the right man wins this time. I guess Bob won't have to join the army for awhile. Today is conscription day but we heard that the state of Washington had enough volunteers that they wouldn't have to draft anyone at present. Speaking of our anniversary, Mom, I have written to Hudson Bay to have my coat shipped up. If they are doubtful as to whom the coat belongs and call you, will you tell them to ship it and explain my change of address and name. They should have it all straight as I talked with one of their girls when I was there last.

Well, there isn't much more to say tonight. I feel fine and my only trouble is not being about to get all the sleep I'd like. Write often and tell me all the scandal. Tell Tom to write and let me in on his latest love affair. Goodnight. Love, Louise

P.S. Just thought...has Tom read Children of God. If Fisher's description of Joseph Smith is correct then I know where Tom inherited his looks. Hope our Smith connection is along that line so it won't spoil my fun.

The United States presidential election of 1940 was fought in the shadow of World War II as the United States was emerging from the Great Depression. Incumbent President Franklin Roosevelt (FDR), a Democrat, broke with tradition and ran for a third term, which became a major issue. The surprise Republican candidate was maverick businessman Wendell Willkie, a dark horse who crusaded against Roosevelt's failure to end the Depression and eagerness for war. Roosevelt, aware of strong isolationist sentiment in the U.S., promised there would be no foreign wars if he were reelected. Willkie conducted an energetic campaign and managed to revive Republican strength in areas of the Midwest and Northeast. However, Roosevelt won a comfortable victory by building strong support from labor unions, big-city political machines, ethnic voters, and the traditionally Democratic Solid South.
The subsequent passing of the 22nd Amendment of the United States Constitution in 1947 renders this election the only occasion in American history in which a candidate has served three terms as president (Roosevelt was elected and would have served for a fourth term, but he died only a few months into that term).

No comments:

Post a Comment