Friday, May 1, 2009

September 23, 1940

Dear Folks:

Haven't much to tell tonight but thought if I kept writing anyway, I would keep letters coming this way. We checked the telephone company last night. We hadn't heart from you since Tuesday and were wondering how Mom was so we called you about 8:00 O'clock. No one was home so we decided Mom was better and cancelled the call. I wonder how much free information the Tel & Tell Co. Gives out all the time. Pop's letter came today and I'm glad to find you are feeling better, Mom.

News of Clyde Epperson was quite a shock. He is another person you'll really miss around the office. I didn't know Joe Mansfield so well, but liked him a lot.

We have had a few visitors the last few days and I'm beginning to settle back into Yakima again. Yesterday we had the auditor who is still here, to dinner. He's a nice looking San Franciscan and a very nice person. He is taking us to dinner Wednesday night. Looks as though we still have a job. This branch was first in operations in the Pacific Coast district last month. It doesn't mean the largest volume of business by any means but cost of running the branch, size of lists and such. Bob told Al I didn't like it here, so if and when any branches see openings around S.L. perhaps we can put in a bid for one of them. Although it is out of this territory, Bob has two or three friends in positions to help him--so maybe we'll sneak back that way. Just the same, Pop, whistle if you see a good spot.

It is hard to settle back into the same old routine after a swell vacation. We were lucky to miss storms all along the way. They had the most violent storm they have had in 50 years in Yakima. It tore down all their poles and they closed the high schools to get enough pickers out to get the crop before it mildewed. They still lost a big part of it. It seemed to be pretty much in the Northwest so maybe it was a good thing we didn't go to British Columbia. The Central Washington State Fair opens here Thursday. Wish you could see it. The apples are coming in and they will show some beautiful fruit displays. I'd send you a box of apples if I thought they were any better than the Utah variety. Dick could probably pop up with a bigger and better apple than any they can produce here.

I'm getting writer's cramp and trying to read this is probably causing you some distress so I'll stop for now. Pop, hurry the novel up. I can't wait to get started on it. When I get a typewriter I'll write longer and better letters. Goodnight. Love, Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment