Monday, May 4, 2009

October 9, 1940

Dear Folks:

Here I am scribbling again. Mr. Baker district manager is in town this time. Whenever one of them is here I can't go down to the office with Bob and use a typewriter. Funny thing, when I write long hand I can't think of anything to tell you.

Received Mom's letter this morning and wish we could have gone riding with you Sunday, or you with us. We took one of the company cars and went up Naches Pass on a collection trip. It happened to be a little Inn up Whithlin Jack's way. We had dinner first-to make sure the food wasn't poisoned-then tackled the manager for a payment. It was a lovely, balmy day but things don't turn a brilliant color here. I guess it's because the nights don't get cold enough.

Saturday night we spent the evening at Blanch Lemond's You remember me talking about Sidney the railroad mom. We just sat and visited around a nice warm fire in the fireplace. Sidney is going to take Bob pheasant hunting. I'm not so sure it's safe after the experience we had with him, but Bob doesn't seem to be afraid. They have a big hunting dog and usually get what they go after. Wish I could go--Blanche goes occasionally. Well, anyway, I'll probably get in on a pheasant dinner or two and Blanche is a good, old fashioned cook. We had chicken dinner there once when Woody and Ted were still here.

Mom, about the sewing--I went out with Thelma Clam and let myself be talked into a cute, little Mother Goose quilt. It's cute but not hard to do and she has promised to help. I have started on it and it's kinda fun. Not only that, I darn Bob's socks now. She caught me one day sewing up big holes like I do runs. She said she's show me how to darn. But I had an ace in the hole and told here I had no yarn. But she had plenty and dashed out and back with it and now you might get to see my beautiful darns. Pop had better send the novel along soon before typing is beneath my feminine dignity. Seriously, I was beginning to worried about it. I've been all set to get started on it for a while now and was beginning to wonder if it had been lost int he mail. Don't worry about it being too much for me. I feel fine and am anxious to do it. Not only that but, I have lots of time on my hands.

The picture of Elaine is surely swell. I thought that one in the plaid coat was a different girl. The other I recognized without readying. It looks just like the mischievous little rascal. Going back to school seems to be quite a fad this year. As Whitty reminded: It's probably where they all belong". I'm enclosing a Washington State beer tax stamp for Tom. I think this is what he was trying to get hold of when he was here. I'm sorry it's torn. If it won't do we can probably get another where that one came from---at Sidney's

Glad you are all well. I'll send a letter you can read as soon as I can go to the office. Tell everyone hello---and write. Love. Louise.

No comments:

Post a Comment