Friday, July 17, 2009

December 10,1940

Dear Mom and Pop:

Was surely glad to get two nice long letters the same day. Have been trying since yesterday afternoon to answer but have been busy sewing. Thelma has me struggling along with some little aprons that look simple but like all sewing has no finish. She seems up a whole one in one afternoon and I have been on mine for a week. She's just a school teacher at heart and I think she is re-living her youth showing me how to do all these things. They are cute but I think one is all I'll do this year. She's killing me with kindness and i don't know what I'd do without her but I don't think she understands tom-boys.

I received the Makoff catalog and if The Ad-Craftsmen didn't get it out, someone is stealing your stuff. It's certainly novel and beautiful. Course, I can't even get in their budget class. They are about $.50 above me at their lowest. But I enjoy looking through it. I think I'll give Thelma the catalog for Xmas. Mom, I think I'll give Bob the little dog for Xmas. It was just as cute as I expected. I know you think I'm crazy but you can't tell me about it till after Xmas and that's too late. And then we may not have it long--Grover is sure to find out. Just wait till they find out I'm going to have a little squealer too. Think I'd better ask them about doing my apartment over? Do you still have cotton's basket in the basement? I'd like very much to have it up here if it doesn't cost more to send it than it's worth. Ask Tom if he will inquire of Railway Express and if it isn't asking the impossible maybe he could get it to them someway and send it C.O.D. If it is ridiculous, just tell me and I'll let the puppy sleep with Bob. I just thought he'd look awfully cute int he basket, under the Christmas tree, with a big read bow around his neck. I'm sure bob will enjoy the present just as much without the trimmings.

Pop, I feel a bit foolish about the $5.00. You've certainly paid for the paper and typewriter dozens of times and it doesn't amount to anything. You couldn't by any chance have though it would come in handy about Christmas time? It was mighty sweet of you and thanks so much...I'll see that Junior gets the pink bootees. This is the weight of paper I'm using. It's 16 lb. and not the best of paper. I didn't think you would want it too heavy. Be sure and tell me if it will do or if you would like it on something else. Don't' worry about me over-doing... I'm much too lazy for that. Sorry to hear you must have the teeth out after all. I'll bet it was that ten-day holiday that made you finally decide to. Be sure you get some rest and don't work all the time.

Mom, I'm sorry to have you doing so many little chores for me but would you do one more? I'd like to send Ruth Belnap a Xmas card and don't have her address. Would you mind calling her mother and asking her for it. I think they live on G Street somewhere.

Well, must close before Robert comes home. He reads my mail. We haven't done much the last week. They are doing a lot of night shifts at the office trying to clean everything up before the New year. I've been browsing a lot in the stores. The town is really very pretty. It's elaborately decorated and the weather is beautiful. It is just like spring. but they can't fool me--it ain't the usual thing.

I am enclosing a little book on skiing that I have been meaning to send to Tom since last Xmas and just ran across it in last year's cards. Guess I shouldn't encourage the skiing since he is working so hard at school but he will probably enjoy reading thru it. He could probably write a better one himself by now.

See you soon again. Write often. Love, Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment