Monday, July 27, 2009

January 21, 1941

Dear Folks:

Sounds like you lead a busy life these days and it sounds fun. Balls and ski meets, etc. How does it feel, Pop, to be a minister again. You certainly make a handsome one. And I'm just dying to see you in your orchid formal, mom. I guess you'd better pack it--not that we have anywhere here to wear such things but we'll have a little fashion revue of our own...when I get my figure back. And, Pop, if you're going to be a social butterfly you just have to put up with photographers and the like--oh, you don't think it's funny?

I don't blame you for being proud of Tom. he's getting right up among them and more power to him--I see Jimmy Howel and Dave Quinney are still sticking to B class. I'd surely like to have seen the meet and poor Bob is just dying to get out and do some skiing--it's too bad we don't live in S. L., he could go out with Tom. Bob is really a pretty fair skier himself--learned at Sun Valley while he was courting a girl there once--so I imagine he took a lot of lessons. Tell Tom to try hard and also be careful. I'm proud of Suggie, Too. Tell him I send my congratulations on those nice long jumps. I suppose since Tom jumped off cliffs, Suggie had to.

Bob is still excited about his idea of working for the banks--and don't think he lacks loyal support from wifey. But he has to tread lightly to keep C.I.T. from hearing of it. So he decided not to write to Bennett in Ogden, Dad, until he hears more from you about Clawson and the man at the Bank--have forgotten who. Is it Ray Wilson? He has been trying to write some the last couple of days but an auditor is in here and he is busy day and night with him. He tried for two months to get the information from Wimm with only promises that he would get the information.

We haven't been doing much the last week. I can't think of an interesting thing to tell you. Bob has some calls to make down the valley today and he took me with him. It seemed good to get out. Sunday was a lovely day and we took a long walk in the sunshine. Saturday night we had our usual game of Tripoli with the Elams. That's about all the excitement up this way. Like the newspaper man who said as he left the whore house, "That's -30 - For tonight. I guess I'll quite now." See, I'm still bad. Well, must really quite and get in bed for my ten hours beauty nap.

Oh yes, thought of something else. Mom, i guess I will have to wait awhile before I make definite plans with you for the time to come. Maybe I can tell better a little later on. Hope you are planning on a ling stay. And, Pop, I will mail the twelve chapters of Sophie by Friday, I have one chapter left to do. I'm afraid there are spelling errors. I have no dictionary and when in doubt have had to rely on my own memory which isn't so good but Tom can probably fix it up in the bad spots without much trouble. It's a swell story and tell Tom to hurry with his half, I'm anxious to see what you finally do with poor Sophie.

I'm really quitting this time. Tell everybody hello. Wish I were there to help tend the little boys for you now and then. Write, Love, Louise

1 comment:

  1. I really wish we knew what he did with poor Sophie too! I would LOVE to read this manuscript.

    ReplyDelete